Thursday, July 17, 2008

Love=Seattle Mariners


Hmmm... I am thinking I should make a post on here. Plus, Paige told me to, so I guess I will. Since my address proclaims my love for the Mariners, I figure I should put in my two cents about them. I became a Mariners fan at the age of four when I moved to Everett, Washington (just north of Seattle). The first live game I ever went to was at the Kingdome on Edgar Martinez night--incredible. I would forever be hooked on that feeling that one gets while attending live sporting events-that natural high if you will (well, most of the people there are drunk, but whatever...). I was there during the highlife. We had Griffey, A-Rod, Randy Johnson, Edgar, and other cool people like Dan the Man, Jay Buhner, and Joey Cora. While I was there we had our first winning season, first playoff appearance, first playoff series win, and plans for a new stadium were started. Good times. Seattle was in love with the Mariners as was I. I will never forget the AMAZING game 5 of the 1995 ALDS when we beat the Yankees at home in 11 innings. Edgar hit "the double" and Griffey booked it all the way from 1st to score the winning run. Beautiful. (I recently bought that game on iTunes so I can enjoy the magic whenever I wish.) Then I left Washington, but the Mariners continued to shine. Safeco Field was opened and it was incredible. Then we acquired Ichiro--the best right fielder in the league and probably the fastest guy in MLB. I will never forget when he threw out that guy at third all the way from right field. It was his second or third game, and then I knew he was for real. 2001: We won 116 games, hosted the All-Star game and had 6 all-stars from our team. The BEST season ever besides the fact that we once again lost to the Yankees in the playoffs. Well, ever since then it has basically gone downhill. 2002 and 2003 both ended with September collapses that led to the Mariners barely missing the playoffs. 2004-2007 we have never really been too close to making the playoffs. 2008: As of the All-Star break we are 20 games back in our division at a whopping .389 win percentage. Sad as can be, but my love for the Mariners is true; I will support them till the day I die. Ichiro is still the stud he always was. A couple of years ago he broke the single-season hit record. I think the old record was 257 and it had stood for 84 years (George Sisler I believe). Ichiro ended the season with 262 hits. He is well worth the money the Mariners pay him. Every year that he has been in the league he has batted over 300, had over 200 hits, made the All-Star team, and been a gold glover. Incredible. Well, there you have it. My unconditional love for the Seattle Mariners.

2 comments:

Paige said...

I'm glad to have finally heard the story about your love for the Mariners. I always knew it was there (obviously), but I never knew how it all came to be :)

Ash said...

Did you enjoy the BYU game, Miss Sporty???!?!??!?!

About Me

My photo
I love sports. I don't like chocolate. I like rain very much, but I don't particularly care for snow. I have a severe addiction to apple juice.